There are different modes of transportation for transporting cargo and they are air transportation, road transportation sea transportation and rail transportation. Freight shipping is the most popular method of cargo transportation and it is often used for items that are too big for the postal service to ship. Freight shipping is the shipping of either a single large item such as a sofa or a large amount of smaller items such as tiles or textiles. These items are put on pallets or containers and then transported using one or more of the modes of transportation mentioned earlier.
There are a few types of freight shipping available and the two most common types are:-
Less-than-load (LTL) Freight Shipping – LTL is designed for smaller cargo that does not require the space of a full truckload trailer. This type of shipping is the most common method used and offer cost-saving. It is also a more eco-friendly way of transporting cargo because the shipping of multiple shipments from several shippers can be consolidated into one freight truck.
Some of the benefits of LTL freight are as follows:-
- Reduced shipping cost because shipping companies consolidate multiple smaller loads from several shippers into one freight truck. This means you only pay for the portion of the trailer used. The balance is being shared by other shippers whose cargo occupy the trailer’s space.
- LTL freight is also a more eco-friendly way of transporting cargo because it reduces the amount of fuel and shipping trucks needed for shipping.
- Better tracking facilities and safety measures ensure that the cargo has no chance of getting misplaced.
Full Truckload (FTL) Freight Shipping – Full truckload freight shipments is the shipping of bulk or pallet loads that are large enough to use an entire trailer. Those who want to move large items will choose this type of shipping service which is generally more expensive as it requires a freight shipping company to make a specific journey. Some of the benefits of LTL shipment are as follows:-
- One full truckload is more cost-effective than several LTL shipments.
- Risk and damage to goods is reduced because there is less handling involved.
- No size or weight restrictions because your cargo is occupying the whole container
- Faster transit time because there are no transfers.
Which is better?
Which type of shipment is better will depend on your needs. Here are some things you should keep in mind when deciding on which type of shipment is appropriate for your cargo:-
- LTL shipments are ideal for freight that weighs between 100 to 10,000 pounds. FTL shipment is more suited for larger shipments.
- Is your shipment large and temperature-sensitive? If you need your shipment to arrive at their destination quickly, then FTL is the best choice.
- FTL occupies the entire freight space and this will cost more. If you are looking for a more cost-effective option and your cargo does not need to be shipped quickly, LTL may be the best option.
- If you have delicate cargo, then FTL is more suited for the transportation of fragile goods because the shipment will remain in the truck the entire journey. With FTL, there is less risk of damage.